New Zealand Society of Translators & Interpreters
NZSTI is the national professional society for translators and interpreters. As well as providing a networking forum, they represent their members’ interests by promoting continuing professional development, quality standards and awareness of the profession among government agencies and the wider community.
NZSTI required a new website to replace an old membership system and some other smaller project sites (built using Wordpress). The new system needed to combine all their operations into a single platform, be cost efficient and easy to administer.
The organisation has members throughout New Zealand and abroad, so the website is of vital importance to keeping everyone connected and engaged. To move forward some key aims were identified:
- Consolidate all operations into one central system
- Reduce admin tasks
- Improve overall branding
- Keep useful functions like 'Find a Member'
- Improve site flow and user experience
- Provide Professional Development options
- Allow for online purchasing
User experience & branding
Usability was vastly improved by keeping the site very simple and making it responsive. The site structure was reconfigured to organise site content into more logical zones of information.
Key functions like 'Find a Translator/Interpreter' and 'Online Signup' were given special attention, allowing visitors easy access to useful tools.
Photographs of people with a wide range of ethnicities were used extensively throughout, adding a human touch that was missing before but also reflecting the diversity of NZSTI members.
The membership system
By leveraging the power of streamSWEET many administrative tasks were streamlined allowing staff to focus more on proactive communications and less on the day-to-day running of the organisation.
Here are some of the features that were included in the build:
- Search for members - by regions, languages and specialties
- Events - both real and virtual
- Members only Forum - simple forum with the ability to receive notifications from specific forum tags (self-managed by members)
- BLOG - Word for Word blog incorporated into new site (instead of being a separate Wordpress site)
- Subscriptions - ability for members to subscribe to multiple news and newsletter types
- Purchasing of video content - recordings of webinars, workshops and presentations on demand (included member only pricing)
- News - current and archived
- Downloads - downloadable files & resources
- Conference - multi-site capability (provide a separate conference website managed within the main site admin, no need to login to separate websites)
- Online applications - wizard tool configured to capture relevant information
- XERO integration - payment processing for membership fees and renewals